Many years ago I didn’t think I would be a mother. With the threat of Huntington’s Disease and John’s unknown gene status, deciding whether to have our own biological children or adopting was a huge question in both of our minds.
After about a year of discussing and checking out adoption, John said to me, “Therese I will leave it up to you. If you want to adopt or if you want us to have our own children, I’ll go with what you decide”. Having the decision power given to me, didn’t make it any easier.
I made my decision after I talked with my Grandmother McKibben. She shared her thoughts with these words that I had heard before. “You never know what going to happen in life”. Those were the words that had sent me back to John when I left the relationship because of Huntington’s disease.
I have been blessed in so many ways, and one is being a mother to our two terrific children, Vanessa and Keith. Everyday I give thanks that I made the decision to have our own kids. In 2016, John tested negative for HD, for which we are grateful, and because he doesn’t carry the mutated HD gene, our kids do not have to live a life AT-RISK.
We Can Never Lose HOPE………